Video content has evolved over the years and is one of the major sources of entertainment these days. With the surge of video content, you can now watch ultra high definition (HD) videos and movies on your iPhone in a more enjoyable way.
Although your iPhone and iPad have a default built-in video player, there are many advanced and feature-rich video play applications available. You may need a powerful iPad/iPhone video player to match your style. When choosing a video player for your Apple devices, you should consider following things:
- If it supports different video and audio formats.
- If the video player can display the subtitles
- or if it can play videos from Google Drive, Dropbox, or One Drive.
We have compiled a list of 17 best iPhone video player apps that offer All-in-one video watching experience.
Table of Contents
1. CnX Player
If excessive battery drain during binge-watching videos is your concern, then CnX player can be a handy media player app.
This lightweight video player app for iPhone can play 4K Ultra HD videos easily.
All popular video formats are supported by the app so that you don’t have to scramble through different video converters.
CnX Player is a good video player for playing high-quality videos without any lag.
The app supports multiple video formats and helpful features such as Wifi transferring, quick switch video decoder, speed control, etc. make this a decent video player for iPhone and iPad.
Key Features of CnX Player:
- Themes can be chosen according to your liking.
- Hardware optimized and 64-bit optimized software video decoders to reduce the battery drain.
- WiFi file transferring feature for moving videos from PC, laptop to iOS devices.
- Video casting support on AppleTV, Chromecast, and Amazon Fire TV.
- Supported Formats: AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MKV, TS etc.
2. It’s Playing
This one is a paid application with lots of revolutionary features.
You will be glad to know that It’s Playing software tool allow users to manage unique or variable aspects ratio of videos on their screen.
Here, users can easily enjoy speed fiddling process for videos.
It’s Playing is also capable enough to fetch subtitles from internet.
One can easily adjust brightness and color saturation information.
High performance playback, up to 1080p
Direct subtitle search and download
TV-Out and Air Play
Easy gestures, including pinch-to-zoom
Supported Video formats: MP4, MOV, MKV, VOB, WMV, AVI, RMVB
Supported Audio formats: WMA, M4A, MP3, OGG, FLAC
Dropbox® one click access to over-the-air movie playback
Youtube® video playback (Pro)
OneDrive, Google Drive one click access to over-the-air movie playback (Pro)
Auto-advance/playlist within folders
Background playback and earbud controls
Playback speed, from 1/8x to 8x adjustments
3. nPlayer Lite
nPlayer Lite comes with a simple yet functional user interface.
It supports all the popular video and audio file formats, along with HEVC/H.264/MPEG4 hardware acceleration.
But what particularly caught my attention is its 3D video mode. You read that right! The player can seamlessly run 3D videos. Moreover, the features like multi-track audio, audio boost, audio sync, and lyrics display enhance the video streaming experience.
You can also use gestures to control the playback. The best thing about the iPhone video player is its inbuilt file manager, which arranges your file neatly.
You can also play videos from cloud services, such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or stream them from your PC, Mac, or NAAS storage. If you want to access more features, you can upgrade to its premium version: nPlayer Plus.
MKPlayer is probably the best media player app available for iPhone and iPad.
Compared to other media player apps, MKPlayer is pretty easy to use, and it’s designed to offer unique features. Guess what? MKPlayer allows you to play movies on your TV with just a simple click.
Apart from that, it also has AirPlay support, offers you a responsive control panel layout, and more.
- Watch video files with alternate audio tracks and multilingual subtitles
- Safari Extension to help you to easily open videos found on websites
- Play movies on your TV with a simple click
- Responsive control panel layout, looks great if the player size is small (mini player)
- Quickly play almost every audio format
- Add any custom subtitle to your video
- Conveniently configure video adjustment parameters
- AirPlay support: limited to AirPlay compatible video formats only
- MKPlayer can stay on top of all your windows
- Simply drop files to the Dock icon to play them
8player is a multifunctional application for Video, Music & Image playback capable of working as a DLNA / UPnP, SMB, FTP player and controller.
It doesn’t support almost all video formats but you can play even your 1080p videos too.
The app offers some of the best customization features which lets you use the app the way you feel best. It also offers 3G playback too.
Key Features of 8player:
- Creating and managing custom music playlists inside 8player.
- Media streaming from any compatible DLNA / UPnP, SMB, FTP server.
- Remote control of your DLNA / UPnP compatible renderers.
- Remote access to your DLNA / UPnP server over 3G/4G or access from any other external network.
- Playback of local files stored in 8player library on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch which you can either add via iTunes on your Mac/PC or download from a DLNA / UPnP, SMB, FTP server.
PlayerXtreme Media player for iPhone and iPad is a feature-rich video player app.
The app supports almost all the formats in which video content can be viewed, which means you don’t have to worry about the format of the video you are playing.
The interface of the app makes it easy to browse the content stored on your device to play.
Key Features of PlayXtreme Media Player:
- Videos can be played from a wide range of network devices, including NAS devices, Wi-Fi hard drive, Mac, PC, DLNA/UPnP app without converting them.
- Gesture controls for increasing/decreasing volume and seek.
- The app supports casting through AirPlay and Google Chromecast.
- Subtitles can be downloaded in real-time.
- The Premium version of the app also offers the feature to add a password to the app.
- Supported Media Formats: wmv, asf, mkv, divx, dv, dat, flv, gxf, m2p, wtv, m2v, m4v, avi, moov, mov, ogm, mpeg, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, mpg, mpv, mt2s, mts, mxf, mp4, ogv, ps, qt, rm, rmvb, ts, vob, WebM, wm, 3gp, iso, m2ts, video_ts
PlayXtreme Media Player is one of the best video player apps for iPhone.
The free version offers exciting features; you can purchase the premium version to unlock high-end features.
It is now much easier to watch your favourite video files, music and movies on iPad or iPhone like devices with MCPlayer.
It supports HD video content with breathtaking clarity and one can stream videos directly from internet.
MC Player provides impressive synchronization service between audio and video content.
- Wide support to subtitles with instant download facility.
- It does not require transcoding; everything can be played directly without any conversion.
- Chromecast support added for easy volume controls.
- All popular video file formats like M4V, MOV, FLV, 3GP, MPEG, MP4, WMV and GP etc. are compatible with MC Player platform.
Firecore’s Infuse 6 has to be included in this list of best iPhone video players for its features and consistency over the years.
The video player has the capability to play a large number of video formats without any issue.
With commendable AirPlay and subtitle support, you can use it to stream videos from network-connected devices as well. One of the most interesting features of this movie player is its clean and organized interface.
There are two versions of the app, namely free and a pro version which is paid.
The paid iPhone video player gives you access to premium features such as support for 4K format, HD quality audio, and cloud streaming.
The version is also equipped with decent features to make it one of the best movie player in iPhone.
Key Features of Infuse:
- Infuse 6 media player for iPhone can play video files of almost all formats without any delay and lag.
- The app syncs with Trakt that allows you to track TV and movies you’re watching.
- iTunes can be synced, and files can also be transferred via FTP.
- Supported Media Formats: WTV, 3GP, ASF, BDMV, DIVX, ISO, DVR-MS, OGM, DVDMEDIA, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, M2TS, MTS, FLV, OGV, TP, TS, VIDEO_TS, WEBM, WMV, AVI.
- An elegant dark theme is a delight for night owls and movie watchers.
Well, WMV HD Player is for those looking for a video player app with a clean design and easy-to-access interface.
As the name of the app says, WMV HD Player is meant to play Full HD videos. Not just HD videos, but WMV HD Player can play different types of video file formats like asf, flv, m2ts, mpeg, mpg, mkv, mov, mp4, mp3, mss2, wma, wmv & more!
A Powerful Media Player which you can use to play various video & audio formats not supported by your Apple device. Also supporting the smooth playing of files in HD (720) and FullHD (1080p), even on iPhone 4s and iPad 2.
Import from Cloud storage’s such as; Dropbox, Google Drive and Box. Integrated Web browser to surf the web and share the url’s to friends via email and sms. Create Folders, move files in to these Folders. Passcode Lock files and Folders.
- Multiple Downloading
- Play videos attached in your email
- Import videos from your Cloud storage’s, Camera Roll and your PC
- Powerful media player with various controls (scrubbing, fast forward/reverse)
- Share your saved videos to friends via Email (size restrictions apply)
- Help section with step-by-step instructions
- Save all your videos to the apps Media Library to play again anytime. Play without the need for Internet connection
- Various Settings to enhance your experience; Set up a Passcode lock, Lock rotation, Loop videos, Private Web Browsing and more…
- Clean design and simple to use
YxPlayer is a potential solution for iPad and iPhone users as it allows video plaback in all file formats.
One can also share videos and photos with other members of family using YxPlayer platform. Yxplayer is Powerful Video Player for iPhone/iPad, You can Watch Almost Any format of Video, You don’t need to Convert Videos Anymore. Enjoy It!
Yxplayer allows you to access your Audio/video in Local WiFi network. To access media files in your Mac computer, You need to download and install Yxplayer or iMediaShare from Mac App Store in your Mac computer.
Support Hardware H264, HEVC/H265 Decoding for MKV files. It can work with MPEG-1/2/4, RMVB, FLAC, ALAC, PCM and HTTP etc.
- Supported Video Formats: Mpeg1/2/4, H264, H265/HEVC, Divx, RMVB and WMV/VC1
- Supported Audio Formats: Mp3, AAC/AAC+, FLAC, APE, OGG, ALAC, WMA and PCM
- Supports Subtitles: srt, smi
If you’re looking for an iPad video player, Secret Video Vault is the answer.
This iOS video player app that supports all video formats and features multiple video playback control.
The app supports HD video playback and Dolby Surround Sound technologies. You can adjust playback speed, import video via WLAN or USB data cable, add or edit video playlist and also lock the app with FaceID, TouchID or numeric password. What makes Secret Video Vault one of the best video players for iPad is that it also supports Picture-in-Picture mode so you can watch a movie while replying to texts.
There is also a Multitasking iPad screen mode that makes it further easier for iPad owners to watch videos and use other apps simultaneously.
- Option to add external subtitles and also set subtitles text encoding
- Optimized for all iPad models
- Supported Media Formats: MOV, MP4, RMVB, AVI, WMV, MPEG, MPEG4, MPK, FLV, 3GP, MKV.
- Feature to lock the app with FaceID, TouchID or numeric password
- Moreover, Secret Video Vault is a free to use app loaded with some highly useful features which makes it one of the best iPad video player app you can use in 2020.
- Picture-in-picture mode support
AirPlay: as the name indicated, it allows users to stream their videos, photos and music files wirelessly.
It also ensures perfect quality of content at receiver end. It’s interface contains wide range of features so it appears little complicated to beginners.
Users can create their playlists for music in AirPlay library so that content can be accessed with ease.
- With eailer iPhone/iPod , You can use QuickTime plugin to view limited media formats, MOV, MP4, M4V, MP3, WMA, MP3, AAC.
- It comes with latest firmware design.
- Automated media server discovery on local network, also with a refresh function.
- You can add server manually, then you can watch your movies outside the house.
- Professionals find this application highly useful due to its wide range of toolset and features.
- Support showing snapshot of the media file.
- With iPhone 3gs, iPhone4, iPod generation 3 32G/64G, iPod 4G and iPad, you can stream almost any formats of music from your media server, MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC etc.
- Support photo browser.
- Support photo thumbnails.
- Support search function.
- Easy content sharing feature supported.
- Support Airplay feature.
- With iPhone 3gs, iPhone4, iPod generation 3 32G/64G, iPod 4G and iPad, you can stream almost any formats of video from your media server, XVID, AVI, RMVB, MKV, MOV, MP4, M4V etc.
The prominence of KMPlayer lies in its ability to play 8K videos, which isn’t possible in most video player apps.
Apart from this, KMPlayer also supports HD, 4K, UHD, Full HD playback, and optimized subtitles. Furthermore, the video player app offers several customization options to tinker with the video and subtitles, such as adjusting the video’s brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, gamma information, playback speed (up to 0.75x), and subtitle color, size, position.
It also offers an option to bookmark the position from where you want to continue the video. Besides, you can stream videos directly by entering the URL or FTP, UPNP, SMB, or Google Drive. The video player is available in more than 230 countries worldwide and can be accessed in 36 languages, making it one of the best free video players for iPhone and iPad.
- High definition video playback: HD, 4K, 8K, UHD, Full HD playback.
- Color adjustment: change brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, gamma information
- Beautiful UI: beautiful music and video playback UI
- Zoom in video: Zoom in and move the video you’re watching
- Bookmark on your wanted position to play.
- Timer function: Video and music timer function
- Quick Button: Select and specify player options with one click
- Equalizer: Use equalizer for music and video
- Speed control: Playback speed control function up to 0.25 ~ 4 times
- Invert video: Invert left and right (mirror mode), upside down
- Subtitle Setting: Change subtitle color, size, position
- Section repeat: Repeat after section designation
- Equalizer: Use equalizer for music and video
- Popup Play: Pop-up windows that can be used with other apps
Plex is not a video player app, but it’s more like an app to organize your media libraries and stream them to any other device. The great thing about Plex is that it organizes all your media files, including music, movies, photos, etc.
Yes, Plex can be used to view videos that were stored on your iOS devices. Stream movies and TV shows, plus 200+ channels of live TV, instantly, without a subscription. Watch live TV and movies anywhere, from any device, with Plex.
Streaming movies has never been easier with Plex.
Watch your favorite movies from Crackle, Warner Brothers, MGM, Lionsgate and more! Enjoy hundreds of free, full length movies from every genre: anime movies, children’s movies, documentaries, and much more. Watch TV series you know and love or discover brand new shows with Plex’s streaming services.
Enjoy on demand TV channels and shows, all in one place. Watch TV anywhere, on any device, together with your friends!
- Watch movies online or offline, anytime.
- Stream live TV with access to 200+ channels of free live programming
- Stream movie favorites from your favorite studios, all for free
- Enjoy many live channels for everyone in the family: watch kid shows, news, sports, and more
- Full movies of all categories: children movies, anime movies, new movies and more
- Watch the news with CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, local news channels and more
15. VLC For Mobile
VLC player app is a free and open-source media player developed by VideoLAN.
It has been famous especially among Americans for many years. It can play many codecs without the need of codec packs.
You don’t need any converter as this iPhone video player can play any file format including MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, FLV, etc. you throw at it and supports multiple audio tracks including 5.1 and subtitles tracks including SSA, but sometimes you may fail to play MOV file too.
You can use VLC for iOS to adjust video speed, brightness, volume, etc and forward or backward as you like.
Better still, VLC iOS video player for iPhone 7 supports AirPlay that you can enable VLC AirPlay to enjoy media files on multi-screen display without cost a dime. VLC is also well-known as a player software on PC with various features but you may look for an alternative due to problems such as the annoying “Rebuilding Font Cache” thing and unfriendly UI.
You can check this list of the best VLC alternative.
- VLC has support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments and gestures to control volume, brightness and seeking.
- VLC for Android™ plays most local video and audio files, as well as network streams, DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC. It also support disk shares.
- It also includes a widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art and a complete audio media library.
- VLC for Android has a media library for audio and video files, and allows to browse folders directly.
- All formats are supported, including MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv and AAC. All codecs are included with no separate downloads. It supports subtitles, Teletext and Closed Captions.
16. MX Video Player
“MX video player” is a one of the best Video Player, elegant with iPhone and iPad.
With this video player you can play and watch videos from your iPhone and iPad.”mx video player” has features that facilitate users can see videos and cut the most interesting favourite videos parts from video files and save these small videos into gallery
This app allowing privilege to capture the favourite screen user wants to capture & save it into gallery.
The great thing about MX Video Player is that it supports tons of commonly used video formats. Apart from that, the interface of MX Video Player is also pretty good, and the iOS app is optimized for Retina Display which can give you a fantastic movie-watching experience.
It supports most of the trending formats now a days into market.
- Shuffle and repeat option available for users
- Support multiple formats of video files
- Smooth rewind ,volume control, brightness options available for users ease
- Smooth brightness and volume control
- User can play videos & audio files with “mx video player”
- Video cutter available to see favourite videos & save those are most favourite parts from videos into gallery
- Fullscreen and Smooth playback
- Change playback speed
- Optimised for retina display
- Supports HD playback
- Smooth options for forward and rewind option available
- Screen capture and save it into phone gallery
- Swiping across screen to change the volume
- Lock the screen for smooth watch
- Swiping across screen to change the brightness
17. OPlayer Lite
OPlayer Lite is the free version of OPlayer, which has been around for over nine years and is one of the most reliable video player apps for iPhone and iPad.
With each update, it has got better. The app supports all the popular video and audio formats, like lossless music, WMA, MKV, 3GP, M4V, Blu-ray, Dolby Digital Audio (AC3), etc.
The player offers an intuitive user interface and supports AirPlay along with Mirroring and HDMI.
Further, the video can be played in the background, which is not present in other video player apps. If you want more features, you can go for OPlayer, the premium version.
- Hardware acceleration can be applied to more videos with the help of new HW+ decoder.
- Cast videos to TV with Chromecast or any DLNA render.
- Equalizer Support
- Multi-core device’s performance is up to 70% better than single-core devices.
- Download online subtitles from open subtitles.
- Supported Media formats: mp4, ts, vob, divx, xvid, rmvb, rm, flv, mkv, 4k, mov, 3gp, m4v, blu-ray, wmv, m2ts, swf, asf, avi, h265
That’s pretty much it! So, there are Best iPhone Video Player Apps.
If you have any other favorite Best iPhone Video Player Apps then don’t forget to share them with us in the comment below. Also, if you liked this article, Share on your favorite Social media platform.