The iPhone’s built-in browser, Safari, is perfect for many people. But it’s not perfect for everyone.
Undoubtedly Safari is one of the fastest web browsers out there, but it is far from perfect. It lacks of visual appeal and customization options that many competitors offer.
If you want or need something different, like Google account sync, Flash support, or night reading, the App Store has you covered. The iOS App Store is filled with third-party browsers which are quite good.
Some browsers make your browsing secure by stopping online trackers from tracking your browsing habit.
Some offer an easy to use interface for fast web browsing, while others are lashed with a wide range of features coupled with a ton of customizations so that you can have a full-on web browsing experience.
We have compiled a list of 22 Best iPhone Web Browser Apps and we have also highlighted the features of each app.
Note: you cannot change your default web browser on iPhone, and all your email links and links received in messages will still open in Safari.
But you can use these mentioned Safari alternatives to ease your web browsing experience otherwise.
Table of Contents
With a name you won’t forget DuckDuckGo is the iOS browser choice if high security and data privacy is very important to you.
DDG will delete your data and browsing history, when you tap the flame icon unless you chose to fireproof the website. DuckDuckGo is a dedicated app with great security features for iOS devices.
Privacy is everything, so you’ll need Face ID or Touch ID to get this unlocked. DuckDuckGo also lets you know how safe websites are with a privacy score rating from A to F and a list of what the browser has successfully blocked.
With Global Privacy Control built in, no third party trackers or websites can collect, share or sell your personal data.
And with its Enforce Encryption power, DuckDuckGo will land you safely on the most secure version of every website (HTTPS not HTTP).
- Escape Online Tracking: automatically block hidden third-party trackers we can find lurking on websites you visit, which stops the companies behind those trackers from collecting and selling your data.
- Enforce Encryption: force sites to use an encrypted (HTTPS) connection where available, protecting your data from prying eyes, like from unwanted snoopers and Internet service providers.
- Tap Fire Button, Burn Data: clear all your tabs and browsing data with one tap.
- Search Privately: our private search engine comes built-in so you can search the Internet without being tracked.
- Signal Your Privacy Preference With GPC: built into the browser, Global Privacy Control (GPC) intends to help you express your legal opt-out rights automatically. This will tell websites not to sell or share your personal information under future legal frameworks (e.g., CCPA, GDPR) in various states or countries.
- Decode Privacy: each site you visit gets a Privacy Grade (A-F) so you can see how protected you are at a glance, and you can even dig into the details to see who we caught trying to track you.
- Limit Access: secure your browser with Touch ID or Face ID.
Cake is one of the newest entries on this list and is unusual in that it doesn’t have a desktop counterpart.
With this mobile-focused approach, the developers have employed a heavily gesture-based interface that actually works rather well. For example, when you search for something online, swiping left and right loads each linked page that appears in the results, so you can quickly find the site you’re after.
It’s a simple idea, but it seems crazy that we’ve not come across it before. When you find something you like, tapping the Menu icon on the bottom row opens a small pane where you can select from a number of options, including Adding it to your bookmarks or Pinterest-style Collections, using the Find on Page feature to locate specific text, saving images or even opening the page in Safari.
Cake has plenty of privacy protections, with tracking blockers, ad-blockers, Force HTTPS, passcode protections, plus a built-in free VPN. The latter is a nice touch, but if you want faster servers, the option to select where the server is located, not to mention being able to use the VPN with any app on your device, then you’ll need to move to the Premium tier which costs £1.99p/m or £19.49p/a.
This is a good alternative to Safari with plenty of interesting ideas.
Now, a desktop version would be the icing on that Cake.
- Private Tab Time Bomb
- Protect and secure your data with Cake’s free, worldwide VPN.
- Anonymous Browsing
- Do Not Track
- Https Everywhere
- Ad & Tracker Blocking
- Passcode Protection
- Reduce eye-strain and increase battery life by switching to Dark Mode.
- Stop retrieving bookmarks one-by-one! In Cake, simply swipe through your bookmarked sites and organize them into Collections.
- Find and highlight specific terms within a webpage to save time while searching.
If you are looking for an unlimited private access to the internet, then Tor VPN browser is the way to go.
It’s the only app in this list that features both VPN + TOR, and it lets you choose between the speed and ease of use of VPNs tunnel connection. Besides an unlimited tunneled access to the internet over the tor network, this browser also detects and blocks pop-ups, automatically deletes cookies, cache and third-party data on application exit.
It’s, however, worth pointing out that most of its features are hidden behind in-app purchases pay wall.
But, it’s the price you’ll have to pay for a secure internet access.
- Ads-Free experience.
- Adblock to block ads, trackers, and analytics
- Your Internet access will be tunneled over the Tor network.
- Priority Support.
- Easy to use interface: just one button to connect to the closest server!
- You can automatically delete cookies, cache, and third-party data on application exit.
- ISPs and insecure wireless networks won’t see your browsing. It will be difficult for anybody to trace your internet activities back to your device.
- Many more..
Honestly speaking, ads have infiltrated our world like flies.
If you are someone who doesn’t want to see annoying ads while surfing the internet, then Adblock Browser 2.0 is one of the best browser apps for iPhone.
The auto ad-blocking functionality of the app lets you visit websites in peace. You can add exceptions if you want to see ads from a particular web page. Adblock Browser 2.0 is one of the most efficient browser apps for iPhone if you want to block ads automatically.
Getting around the app is easy, as the interface is a replica of Google Chrome. You can download this browsing app free of cost.
- Excellent ad-blocking feature.
- You can disable social media buttons that could track your location and device.
- Ghost mode allows you to surf the internet in a discreet manner
- You can choose the default search engine in the browser app.
If you’ve ever found yourself wishing for a dark mode, Night Web Browser by Alex gives you exactly that.
You have complete control over dimming the screen, keyboard, and even YouTube videos inside the browser window.
If a night theme is really important to you, give Night Web a try. Night Web Browser by Alex is the only web browser that lets you DIM 100% of your screen, including the keyboard, status bar, web videos like YOUTUBE and INSTAGRAM, Facebook etc.
Do you think that your iPhone’s/iPad’s screen is too bright when you look at it in the dark? Night Web Browser allows you to surf the web in the dark without disturbing the one next to you and without straining your eyes.
Perfect for you who love doing some browsing before sleep without the risk of waking the one next to you because of the bright iPhone screen.
- Choose your Google language in settings
- Search instantly in the address field and choose from search results that instantly appear as you type
- Modern minimal design
- Night mode with warmer color temperature
- 64-bit support
- Swipe for back/forward navigation like in Safari
- Brightness control/Darkness boost
This one’s more of a search engine than a full-fledged browser, but it’s the best choice if you care about the earth and sustainability. For approximately every 45 searches you do, Ecosia plants a tree.
Given how we are all constantly searching for things, this is an easy way to do something small for the planet.
For more information about their work and transparency, you can check out the Projects tab at the browser’s bottom.
However, since Ecosia is primarily a search engine, it lacks many essential features such as tabs and privacy controls. So, it would be preferable to use this within another browser at the URL ecosia.org.
It may seem unnatural to use a Microsoft browser on an Apple device but Edge has some really effective features, as befits a project that shares some DNA with Google Chrome.
That just means it has plenty to recommend it.
Security is a big feature for this browser, so that is a major plus. Tracking Prevention and AdBlock Plus are two big reasons to download Microsoft Edge.
Hide your browsing history from third parties and stop websites you haven’t visited from following you around you online. Fancy earning Microsoft Rewards points to put towards Xbox and Microsoft Store gift cards, sweepstakes or donations? Start collecting by using Microsoft Bing on Edge for your web browsing and Cortana voice searches.
Edge is a useful and secure alternative if you want something different to Safari.
- Browse the web and quickly find your favorites, history and more with a redesigned navigation.
- Securely access your saved information like history, favorites, passwords, Collections, and more across your signed-in devices with the Microsoft Edge web browser.
- Enjoy a streamlined reading experience with Immersive Reader. It will remove ads and other distracting content from articles and blog posts.
- Search the web on the go with visual and voice search powered by Microsoft Bing.
8. Safari iOS
What about the built-in Safari web browser? Safari is behind its rivals on certain features and no doubt has its critics, but there are some big reasons to stick with Apple’s own browser. For a start, Safari is integrated into iOS in more intangible ways than other browers – the overall design aesthetic, for example. This means that Safari feels like a natural extension of the iPhone and its menus and settings.
We love that we can create a link to a particular web page and have it as an icon on our Home screen, for example. (To do that, tap on the Share icon and choose Add To Home Page). If you want to surf the web incognito you can just tap on the tab in the bottom right to open the tabs view and then tap on the Private button on the bottom left to open a new private page. you can tell it’s private if the URL bar is grey.
Safari boasts a great Reader mode that can turn busy websites into simple text pages to read more easily, plus you can add articles on web pages to your Reading List where you can come back to them later when you’ve got more time.
There’s also the Handoff feature, which allows you to pick up where you left off when you move between iPhone, iPad and Mac, not to mention iCloud Keychain, which securely holds your passwords for sites and shares them across devices logged into your account.
Finally, there are the advantages held by any incumbent: it’s the easiest option, since it’s preinstalled and you don’t need to invest any time looking into alternatives and it’s comfortable, because you’re already used to the way it works.
All the other browsers here will require some getting used to – but if you find one that’s worth sticking with that’ll be a one-off investment.
For private and secure web browsing, you can count on Private Browser.
Featuring a minimal interface, it’s one of the fastest private browsers for iOS. As it also offers free unlimited VPN on your iPhone (a virtual private network), you can use the app to surf the web anonymously at public places.
Furthermore, Private Browser doesn’t log any of your activity nor does it share it with third-parties.
Therefore, you can browse the web with complete peace of mind.
- Easy to use.You just need one tap to connect.
- Interface refreshing.
- Privacy. we don’t log any of your activity and will never share it with anyone.
- Secure. Private Browser will protect your personal data while you are online.
- Fast. Private Browser enable you to access to all websites.
- Multiple servers. We provide you with multiple servers around the world.
- Support iPhone & iPad.
- Free. free unlimited VPN.
- Convenient. provide multi-window and label.
10. Yandex Browser
Yandex browser is all about safe and secure browsing.
It reduces data usage and speeds up page load time with its special Turbo mode. Its uniqueness lies in its ability to change the look of tabs using preset background designs or photos from your device.
Pretty neat when you’re bored of the plain look of other browsers. The browser also offers you recommended content, including news, articles, and videos based on your interests.
You can also access all your favorite websites and bookmarks on any of your devices with a Yandex account.
- A quick and safe browser with voice search.
- Stories, news, and videos sourced from the internet based on your interests and presented as a feed.
- Surf the web in private using Incognito Mode.
- Access your favourite websites and bookmarks on any of your devices.
- Protect your personal data when using public Wi-Fi networks and stay away from harmful or fraudulent pages
11. iCab Mobile
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won’t find in other iPhone browsers.
What sets iCab Mobile apart is the control it gives you for managing files.
Once you link up Dropbox, you can download and upload files to and from your iPhone, so you can access them on the go.
You also get multi-user options, full-screen mode, and form filling capabilities. If you want a desktop-class experience on your iPhone, you want iCab.
- Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser.
- There’s a built-in fully customizable filter feature. It allows to block resources, ads, banners, user tracking scripts, cookies etc. Supports AdBlock Plus/EasyList filters as well.
- iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages (Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites).
- iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- QuickStarter feature
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Browser ID is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names
- Cookie Manager
- URL autocompletion
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- AirPrint support
- Private Browsing
Fast, safe and private, Opera Browser is a beautifully designed web browser with a Red Dot Award for its stunning user interface.
This iOS browser app has undergone a complete overhaul in recent times.
One of the highlights of this is the Fast Action Button. This is inspired by Apple’s Control Center, and a single tap is enough to invoke quite a few functionalities such as refreshing the tab, closing it, or opening a new one. Further, the ‘Flow’ feature allows you to link the device’s browser with its desktop version.
You could then easily exchange the desired data from either end. It also comes with a built-in QR Code scanner, which blends well with its Flow feature. Lastly, its ad and popup blocker ensures an immersive browsing experience.
Enjoyed by millions of fans across the world, it’s built for people on the go and features a lightning fast web search for instant results. Install Opera Browser to get the best iOS browsing experience.
- Safe and Private
- Native AD blocker for fast browsing
- Seamless file sharing between devices with flow
- Lightning fast browser
- Many more.
13. Google Chrome
By now you may well be familiar with how Google works, in relation to your data.
Specifically, your online movements are tracked when you use Google Chrome. If you are comfortable with this, Chrome remains the world’s most popular browser and sports features that work well on iPads and iPhones.
Add to that, if you use Chrome on your desktop, you can quite easily handoff webpages, emails and bookmarks Mac to iPad/iPhone or vice versa. Chrome is also a nifty mover, when it comes displaying pages, taking up to 50% less time to serve up pages in Data Saving Mode.
Chrome also features a ‘drag down to refresh’ feature and Google Translate can convert text into another language, showing how handy it is to have those Google apps just built into the browser.
- Seamlessly access and open tabs and bookmarks from your laptop, phone or tablet.
- Use the magic of Google Voice search to find answers on the go without typing.
- Use incognito mode to browse without saving your history.
- Choose from search results that instantly appear as you type and quickly access previously visited pages.
- Open as many tabs as your heart desires and quickly flip through them like a deck of cards.
- Many more…
14. Mozilla Firefox
Firefox is a browser that puts privacy at the top of its agenda, and we found it did exactly what it said on the tin (or App Store), in that it blocks a wide variety of trackers, allows you to easily clear your history and putting you in control of your internet history. However, it is limited – you lack a history, menus, or even tabs!
This is a major drawback, but if security and privacy are the most important things on your agenda it’s a compromise you may want to make. Should this be too much of a sacrifice, there is still the normal Firefox browser which boasts a full complement of features and plenty of additional tools.
- Streamlined home screen
- Share anything in a few Taps
- Organize your Table the way you like
- Next level Privacy
- Fast, Private and Safe
- Search Intelligenyly
- Get add-ons for everything
- Easy access to your top sites.
- Simple to use
- Social and tracking data
- Making it one of the most security-focused browsers on iOS
- Blocks ads
- No history
- Very basic browser
- Menus or tabs
Puffin Web Browser app is a fast web browsing app that is different from any other browser listed on this list.
The compressing functionality of the app is pretty efficient, which keeps the page load time to the minimum. Puffin web browser supports Flash pages as it includes Adobe Flash.
The latest version of the app is a boon for networks with less bandwidth as it reduced server connect time. Puffin iPhone browser app is intended for those who are working on resource-limited devices but want pages to load faster.
It is unarguably one of the fastest iOS browser you can download.
With its virtual trackpad and dedicated video player, the app offers a unique web browsing experience to users.
- An excellent proprietary compression algorithm compresses pages for faster loading.
- You can adjust the streaming quality and image resolution for web pages.
- Chrome bookmarks are synchronized automatically in the Puffin app.
- Cloud Acceleration
- Browser Isolation
- Data Saving
- Internet Access Protection
- Flash Game
- Full Desktop Mode
- Virtual Gamepad/Mouse/Trackpad
- Download to Cloud
Maxthon Cloud Web Browser app for iPhone is a lightweight browser that comes with incredible features such as a built-in ad-blocker, a note-taking tool, and a password manager.
Being based on the cloud engine, Maxthon offers the facility to syncs your data across Apple as well as non-Apple devices. Maxthon Cloud Web Browser is a great contender for the best iOS browser app with plenty of advanced features.
What I liked most about the app is the feature to sync data between different platforms and inbuilt password manager.
- Native ad-blocking feature to block annoying advertisements and popups.
- Facility to install extensions for increasing the productivity of the browser app.
- Night Mode for browsing the internet during night time without straining your eyes.
- Optimized on overall features level, which highlighted the often used main features according to users feedback, greatly improved the convenience of operations.
- The new Maxthon Browser will not only be your information access platform, but rather your personal customized treasure chest for data that comes with a powerful edition of notes and password management.
17. Red Onion
Ever been on a Wi-Fi network that has blocked you from accessing one of your favorite websites? Just like you can use Tor on the computer to browse anonymously and break free from restrictions, Red Onion lets you do the same on iPhone.
Your browsing is also completely password protected. Red Onion is a unique browser that lets you access the Internet privately and anonymously.
With Red Onion you can bypass corporate, school, public wifi internet filters and access the entire Internet without restrictions with complete security.
Not only that with the built downloader you can freely download without ever revealing your true identity or IP address. Red Onion is a full-fledged Tor-powered browser that offers you a REAL solution, with multiple tabs, customizable start screen, built in ad-blocker, history, bookmarks, and much much more.
- Multiple tabs, Bookmarks & History
- Internet access tunneled over the Tor network
- User-Agent spoofing
- Passcode lock and Touch ID support
- Start screen with the most frequent visited history entry’s
- Search in the webpage
- Websites do not see your real IP address
- Share URL’s via Twitter, Mail, Google+
- Reset history/tabs/etc on restart (App Settings > Full Reset or Always Full Reset options for flexibility)
- Ad-block for most ad-networks
- Real-time search in your browsing history, bookmarks and tabs
18. Brave Browser
Here’s the best Safari alternative that puts privacy first.
It blocks all ads by default that considerably decreases the page load time. Brave claims to be three times faster than Chrome while putting less strain on your device battery. But, if ads are blocked, how do websites make revenue? Well, Brave supports publishers by compensating them at the end of each month, depending on your interaction with websites.
Further, with HTTPS Everywhere, you can rest assured that you’re only visiting safe sites. Moreover, you can also use TouchID/FaceID to unlock this browser.
And there’s also an in-built Private VPN that allows you to hide your actual IP address and browse anonymously.
- Saves battery and data
- Pop-up blocker
- Browsing history
- HTTPS everywhere (for security)
- Script blocking
- Built-in 3rd party Ad-Block
- Private and recent tabs
- Private VPN
- Brave Playlist. Add media and play anytime, anywhere. Even offline.
- Tracking protection
No need to open an incognito tab for total privacy and secrecy, Ghostery doesn’t gather your data unless you opt in.
And even then, everything’s kept anonymous. You can’t be monitored, tracked or profiled. And it’s not just the internet you can enjoy like no one’s watching, but the apps on your Apple iOS device too.
Ghostery’s WiFi Protection Browser connects you to their VPN, so you can filter and block trackers almost everywhere on your iPhone or iPad. Also, the Automatic Forget Mode stops adult content being stored in your browsing history and the URL bar helps you spot suspicious websites and phishing scams.
You can even stop cookie pop-ups with its dedicated blocker.
All of which makes Ghostery Privacy Browser a strong back-to-basics contender for web browsing on your iOS devices.
- Free and open-source
- Privacy Statistics: See at a glance how many trackers and ads have been blocked
- Phishing Prevention: The URL bar shows only the top-level domain to help you spot suspicious websites
- Pull Down to Refresh: Swipe down at the top of a website to refresh the page content
- Delete Private Data at the Touch of a Button: Close all open tabs and delete all private data with just one tap
- Automatic Forget Mode: Automatically prevents adult content from being stored in your history
- Cookie Pop-up Blocker: Removes cookie pop-ups on websites and automatically denies consent requests for data collection if possible
- “Open in Ghostery” Action: A fast and simple way to open a website in the Ghostery Browser by using the action menu of another app
20. Aloha Browser
If you are a privacy nerd who’s on the lookout for a web browser with built-in free unlimited VPN then Aloha Browser is the way to go.
Yes, it’s a browser app that focuses on privacy and hides your footprint on the internet.
As far as the user experience is concerned, the interface is pretty straightforward and it looks very similar to something like Google Chrome. A couple of noteworthy features of Aloha browser includes an ad-free web surfing environment, an in-built VR player that lets you play VR videos and more.
You can also choose to opt for a premium version of Aloha and get an advanced set of features.
But either way, you can’t go wrong with Aloha and we highly recommend trying to as an alternative to something like Safari or Chrome if you want something new.
- AD BLOCK: surf in an ad free environment
- QR CODE READER: convenient way to quickly open links from the real world
- VR PLAYER: enjoy VR videos directly from the browser
- BACKGROUND PLAYING: listen to your favourite music while using any apps or with screen off.
- PRIVATE TABS: lock private tabs with TouchID or Passcode and keep it private
- DATA SAVER: all VPN traffic is compressed and encrypted to use less bandwidth
- MEDIA PLAYER: powerful music and video player that plays different formats
- PRIVACY: we don’t log any of your activity and will never share it with anyone, because we have nothing
- FREE Unlimited VPN: taking your Internet freedom and security to the next level
21. Dolphin Browser
Dolphin mobile browser app has aplenty features that make it a great Safari alternative.
Tabbed browsing feature allows you to toggle between apps easily. The app simplifies browsing with gestures, Dolphin Sonar, speed dials, etc. There are several themes to choose from if you want to personalize your browsing experience.
It is a fast browsing app to surf the web securely and in a customized manner. Dolphin Mobile is a free mobile browser app and one of the most feature-rich browsers for iPhone available out there.
The set of features make it tough to understand, but once you attain mastery over it, it has the potential to become your favorite browsing app.
- Voice search functionality of the browser app is entirely accurate, which can be triggered by simply shaking the device.
- Dolphin Gestures allows you to visit your favorite websites by simply drawing personalized symbols on the screen.
- With speed dials, you can visit frequently accessed websites with much ease.
- The app has plenty of themes to choose from.
- You can tweet and share web pages on Facebook by the dedicated option in the app.
22. Onion Browser
Onion browser is also a free and open-source Tor-powered web browser for iOS.
Just like Tor VPN Browser, Onion browser also lets you access the internet safely at no extra cost.
Onion browser lets you access the internet over Tor and protects your privacy from website tracking. Onion browser also secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs, and lets you access onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs
- Protect your privacy from website tracking
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor
- Support for HTTPS Everywhere, an automatic switch to HTTPS enabled websites
That’s pretty much it! So, there are Best iPhone Web Browser Apps.
If you have any other favorite Best iPhone Web Browser Apps then don’t forget to share them with us in the comment below. Also, if you liked this article, Share on your favorite Social media platform.